Login 

All times are UTC

Post subject: What does the beckoning of the New Year mean to you?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 5:16 am 
Keeper of the Calm

Medals: 3
Co-Founder (1)

3 Year Medal (1)

1 Million Medal (1)
For those of us that follow the gregorian calendar in terms of year end celebrations, what does this time mean to you?

Some perhaps it is a time of reflection on the years high's and low's a time to consider the future and what it may hold or what you may wish it to hold.

Or

Perhaps it's just a great excuse to party and drink a little too much of the 'good stuff' or a chaotic combination of both?!?

Tell us what you think?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:27 pm 
Keeper of the Calm

Founder (1)

3 Year Medal (1)

750k Medal (1)
A pretty crappy year just the other 36 I have been through...another crappy year to look forward to...

OH JOY!!!!!

Actually...this team made things a little better. Nice to see what a great group of people we have. :-)

from silent stone,
Death is preordained

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:55 am 
Keeper of the Calm

Co-Founder (1)

3 Year Medal (1)

1 Million Medal (1)
Lets hope for less crap this year then, lol!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:40 pm 
Keeper of the Calm

Founder (1)

3 Year Medal (1)

750k Medal (1)
Enigma wrote:
Lets hope for less crap this year then, lol!!

One can only hope....lol

from silent stone,
Death is preordained

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 11:10 pm 
Chaotic Member

Medals: 2
3 Year Medal (1)

Honorary Medal (1)
The New Year is barely a day old and we have already been greeted with the number of soldiers killed in Iraq having reached the 3000 mark. Next we learn on the News that a five year old girl has just been mauled to death by her pet pit bull terrier, and we've had bombs going off in Thailand.
On top of that Santa has decided to throw a good hanging into his Christmas stocking for this festive season when I would rather be watching The Wizard of Oz on T.V or reading about the good deeds of the local community in my newspaper.
It just makes me wonder what the New Year has in store for us.
Sorry to be such a moany Minnie like this, but I can see very little to be optimistic about I am afraid.

From Moanie Minnie and the Post Christmas Blues.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:11 am 
Keeper of the Calm

Co-Founder (1)

3 Year Medal (1)

1 Million Medal (1)
Ahhh Susan, don't let it get you down... this is life on this little blue green gem, we call earth. (hmmm that really sounds sort of philosopicalish... i better stop here).

'World Peace' is only in the 'minds' of Ms. Universe....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:44 pm 
Chaotic Member

CC Team Member (1)

3 Year Medal (1)

250k Medal (1)
At wowk here all the License servers are down and we are sitting around getting paid for doing nothing. Not a bad start to the new year.. :smt003

Susan, look at the bright side.. Maybe Bush will be impeached this year. Hell, we've impeached before and for a lot less... hmm
:smt038 :smt023 :smt003

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:09 am 
Chaotic Member

3 Year Medal (1)

Honorary Medal (1)
Brian wrote:
At wowk here all the License servers are down and we are sitting around getting paid for doing nothing. Not a bad start to the new year.. :smt003

Susan, look at the bright side.. Maybe Bush will be impeached this year. Hell, we've impeached before and for a lot less... hmm
:smt038 :smt023 :smt003

Tony Blair needs to be impeached. At the moment he is sunning himself with one of the former Bee Gees in some (I can't remember where) tropical paradise.
I heard on the news that your President is going to send even more troops into Iraq. Do you know, I have a sneaky feeling they could bring back the draft again. I don't know how old you are and I wouldn't want to know, but, would you be ready for that if it happened?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:27 am 
Keeper of the Calm

Co-Founder (1)

3 Year Medal (1)

1 Million Medal (1)
i can think of something more interesting than impeachment for the both of them LOL....

What age is the cut-off for the draft??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:53 am 
Calm Chaos Speedologist

CC Team Member (1)

3 Year Medal (1)

100 Million Medal (1)
Enigma wrote:
i can think of something more interesting than impeachment for the both of them LOL....

What age is the cut-off for the draft??

For the draft, I think it WAS 28, it's 35 if you want to enlist.

But all this talk about the draft has only come from the Democrats, not the current Republican administration.

Scare tactics in politics is all it is.

If You're Not Outraged, You're Not Paying Attention

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:00 am 
Chaotic Member

CC Team Member (1)

3 Year Medal (1)

250k Medal (1)
I have son who is 20 so I wouldn't like the draft one bit. If we were defending our country from a certain threat then I can see it but I would not let my son go into this war for the betterment of corporate greed. Which is how I see this whole Bush mess.
Susan, I'm not a Blair fan by any means but I would bet that our current regime probably didn't give ole Tony boy much of a chance to dissent. I am sure that something was held over the Brit Gov to make them complicit. Normaly the Brits are very independent. Hell, just look at the debate on national ID cards.. lol. I have worked with many Brits, I am a Brit by birth and my parents (born in West Nottingham) so belive me, when we asked for the UK's help after 911 in Afganistan, the British peole said no problem. After that I believe they were kept in the game wether they wanted to or not just to give GW some validation on his real pet project, Irag.

:smt021

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:30 pm 
Chaotic Member

3 Year Medal (1)

Honorary Medal (1)
Brian wrote:
I have son who is 20 so I wouldn't like the draft one bit. If we were defending our country from a certain threat then I can see it but I would not let my son go into this war for the betterment of corporate greed. Which is how I see this whole Bush mess.
Susan, I'm not a Blair fan by any means but I would bet that our current regime probably didn't give ole Tony boy much of a chance to dissent. I am sure that something was held over the Brit Gov to make them complicit. Normaly the Brits are very independent. Hell, just look at the debate on national ID cards.. lol. I have worked with many Brits, I am a Brit by birth and my parents (born in West Nottingham) so belive me, when we asked for the UK's help after 911 in Afganistan, the British peole said no problem. After that I believe they were kept in the game wether they wanted to or not just to give GW some validation on his real pet project, Irag.

:smt021

I take it from your post that you are now living in the U.S? Your son, or anyone of his age, could always declare themselves as conscientious objectors and refuse to fight I suppose. The only reason I brought it up is that George Bush has called for more young people to enlist as far as I can understand. He wants more ground troops trained. Also, as you say, this war is not about defending American soil, it seems more to do with oil reserves - if I am correct.
I do not personally believe the American government has forced us to be complicit. On what grounds could they possibly do that? I think Tony Blair is simply a boot-licker by nature.
But also, we have been told we have a 'special relationship' with the U.S. I can't imagine what that means though, since I am sure both America and Britain have very different societies and cultures. The only thing that I can think of that might forge some bond is that we are both English speaking peoples.
As to the I.D card question, I believe that I.D cards are an E.U proposal. As we are members of the E.U, we seem not to be as independent as we once were.
I don't know if you have to carry them in the U.S.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:11 am 
Chaotic Member

CC Team Member (1)

3 Year Medal (1)

1 Million Medal (1)
susan wrote:
But also, we have been told we have a 'special relationship' with the U.S. I can't imagine what that means though, since I am sure both America and Britain have very different societies and cultures. The only thing that I can think of that might forge some bond is that we are both English speaking peoples.

Since the English and French were largely responsible for the settlements that took hold in the 1500-1700s, our culture is very indebted to English culture in many ways. Plus, many of us have English ancestry, including myself. (Add in German and Irish for myself.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:37 pm 
Chaotic Member

3 Year Medal (1)

Honorary Medal (1)
Sarge_II wrote:
susan wrote:

Quote:
Since the English and French were largely responsible for the settlements that took hold in the 1500-1700s, our culture is very indebted to English culture in many ways. Plus, many of us have English ancestry, including myself. (Add in German and Irish for myself.)

Thanks Sarge. I believe many Americans have Irish ancestry as well. I am of Irish descent - partly anyway. But there is also some Australian in my family. That's why my middle name is Alice, a little old fashioned I admit.
Apparently, I have been so named after the town Alice Springs in Australia, although I don't feel any real connection with it. I have never even been there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:40 pm 
Keeper of the Calm

Founder (1)

3 Year Medal (1)

750k Medal (1)
Hmmm....my Dad named me after the books of Timothy in the Bible. I don't feel much of a connection with that, either....lol

Of course, it's a lot better than what my Mom wanted. :smt002

from silent stone,
Death is preordained

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:12 am 
Chaotic Member

3 Year Medal (1)

Honorary Medal (1)
Knightmare wrote:
Hmmm....my Dad named me after the books of Timothy in the Bible. I don't feel much of a connection with that, either....lol

Of course, it's a lot better than what my Mom wanted. :smt002

What exactly did your mum want?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:15 am 
Keeper of the Calm

Founder (1)

3 Year Medal (1)

750k Medal (1)
My mother...in her infinite wisdom...wanted to name me Christopher Columbus.....lmao

from silent stone,
Death is preordained

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:38 am 
Chaotic Member

CC Team Member (1)

3 Year Medal (1)

250k Medal (1)
KM, don't see you as a "Columbo" Pisan..
Remember Susan, it was only just last month that Britain paid off the debt it incurred from the U.S. from our support of Britain during WWII. There are other debts as well that are outstanding and let's not forget the Oil Corps that hold sway over things there as well as here. UK's only other option is to climb into bed with Putin, and I don't see that happening. There are countless American Military facilities over there and also, the main listening post for ease dropping on Europe is in England, run by yanks and the info is "shared" with the Brit Gov. Do you think that GW only spy's on his own citizens?

I have many friends and relatives over there and I know how fiercely independent we Brits can be but in reality, their is alot of back door diplomacy that goes on that we will never know about.
I mean, it didn't take much blackmailing to get Churchill to sign the North Atlantic treaty which was the nail in the coffin for Englands Empire. I believe the actual nail was in paragraph 3 if memory serves. Presidents play dirty sometimes thats for sure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:07 am 
Chaotic Member

3 Year Medal (1)

Honorary Medal (1)
Knightmare wrote:
My mother...in her infinite wisdom...wanted to name me Christopher Columbus.....lmao

He He. Maybe she wanted you to grow up an explorer. Well it could be worse I suppose. It could have been Sue (from the song, 'A Man Named Sue.') Or it could have been Hilary. We've got a doctor here who used to answer people's problems in a national newspaper. His name was Doctor Hilary Jones. I don't know how he got by with a name like that.
When my parents first saw me as a baby, they wanted to name me Fred. :smt020

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:17 am 
Keeper of the Calm

Founder (1)

3 Year Medal (1)

750k Medal (1)
Fred???? LMAO!!!!!!

from silent stone,
Death is preordained

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:38 am 
Chaotic Member

3 Year Medal (1)

Honorary Medal (1)
Brian wrote:
KM, don't see you as a "Columbo" Pisan..
Remember Susan, it was only just last month that Britain paid off the debt it incurred from the U.S. from our support of Britain during WWII. There are other debts as well that are outstanding and let's not forget the Oil Corps that hold sway over things there as well as here. UK's only other option is to climb into bed with Putin, and I don't see that happening. There are countless American Military facilities over there and also, the main listening post for ease dropping on Europe is in England, run by yanks and the info is "shared" with the Brit Gov. Do you think that GW only spy's on his own citizens?

I have many friends and relatives over there and I know how fiercely independent we Brits can be but in reality, their is alot of back door diplomacy that goes on that we will never know about.
I mean, it didn't take much blackmailing to get Churchill to sign the North Atlantic treaty which was the nail in the coffin for Englands Empire. I believe the actual nail was in paragraph 3 if memory serves. Presidents play dirty sometimes thats for sure.

I think I've found the right one -

North Atlantic Treaty, Articles 3 and 4.

Washington DC. 4th April 1949.

3. In order to achieve the objectives of this Treaty, the parties, separately or jointly, by means of continuous and effective self-help and mutual aid, will maintain and develop their individual and collective capacity to resist armed attack.

4. The parties will consult together whenever, in the opinion of any of them, the territorial integrity, political independence or security of any of the parties is threatened.

I've tried to copy it word for word, so hope I've got the right ones. So Churchill signed this in 1949 at the end of the war. At that time we must have been in a lot of debt to the U.S. That must mean that Churchill felt obliged or could have been 'blackmailed' by the President to sign the Treaty? Yet on what grounds could this have been done, if I am not getting this completely wrong?

Post subject: Re: What does the beckoning of the New Year mean to you?
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 2:16 pm 
Calm Member

For me it has a great meaning of New year because in the new year we expect something more.We always want in this new year we get success and we get some thing which we never get ,and over the this period we get success.